Getting Started with Zoom for Online Classes & Activities
Ashburton Community Centre is joining Zoom to keep connected!
What is Zoom?
Zoom is essentially a video conferencing tool where you have a host (your tutor), and participants are invited to join the ‘meeting’ and you can see each other on screen. It’s not exactly like being in the same room, but we think it’s pretty close.
We have chosen Zoom as it is free for you to use, it’s interactive, and it’s the perfect platform to keep you connected while our doors are closed.
How do I use Zoom to join in ACC activities?
- All ACC activities will have a web link for you to click on. (If it is for a Term 2 paid class you will be sent that link via email prior to the first class).
- Once you click on the link, follow the prompts (you do not need to download anything just open up zoom in your browser if/when prompted)
- Zoom allows for a range of different connections from an interactive conversation to more of a lecture style to just watching.
- Video and audio enabled so people can see and hear you (recommended – it’s not as daunting as you think!)
- Audio only so other participants can only hear you,
- or you can ‘mute’ your profile so you are listening only.
- Join one of our Zoom Q & A sessions with our digital mentors
- Join one of our interim activities to preview Zoom and to get the hang of it
- Call our Tech Helpline for one-one over the phone support on 1300 93 93 33 (available 9am – 3pm weekdays).